Burning Stuff and Crime

This week in science we learned about the property’s of matter. In class we did a lab about flammability. We where given five pieces of red cloth and string, a tea candle, and tweezers. We had to burn each piece and see which burnt similar to the one found at the crime scene. We also could look at each piece under a microscope. Afterwards we drew a picture of what it looked like under a microscope. Finally we had to compare all of the data and see which sample resembled the crime scene sample most closely.

I found it very interesting how differently each piece of cloth burned. I was surprised how quickly stuff some burned. Due to a lot of them appearing to be made out of some mix of plastic I thought they would smell more than they did. Looking at each one under the microscope was very interesting. You could see exactly how they were threaded or sewn. Some looked really elaborate. It made me question if the machines are programmed to make that specific pattern.

Questions:

How much detail does he 3-D model have to have to it for it to be correctly printed?

What are the materials that the threats were mostly made of?

how does the different threading change based on the purpose of the string?

4 thoughts on “Burning Stuff and Crime

1. Shane Boland Harrison says:

Great post Morley. I am wondering about your 3-D question. Are you talking about a 3-D printer?
    The threads were made out of wool, cotton and various plastics as you guessed. I think the threading has to do with what the material will be used for. While plastic has many uses it is taking over our planet! Some of those threads will last hundreds of years!

1. morleyy2023 says:

I don’t really know what I meant by the question. I think it could’ve been asking if a 3-D printed replica would have reacted the same. It could’ve also been a auto correct error or I could’ve been using voice to text.
      -Morley

2. Naomi says:

Dear Morely,

You did a really good job on your blog! I love how it is all very detailed and the three questions you had, but what does he 3-D model mean? Great job!

Sincerely Naomi

1. morleyy2023 says:

Dear Naomi,
      Thank you, for your nice comment. I don’t really know what I meant by that question. When I wrote the blog I might’ve been using voice to text, and forgot to double check for errors.
      Sincerely, Morley